05 August 2009

Velvia? No thanks.






When we finally booked our honeymoon to NZ, I went a bit nuts with the idea of taking the Minolta on a bit of a trip. I'd always regretted not taking it to Europe in 2007, so I was determined to make this a good'un.

So I stocked up on film: 10 x Reala, 2 x Velvia 100, 2 x Kodak slide film (not used).

After quite a while of waiting, I finally got the Velvia developed. Results above. The thing holding me back was that it was going to cost a lot of money to have them developed & scanned (about $42 each film done locally). SO thanks to a reasonably favourable return from Mr Swan, I finally got them done.

And I found out that I don't much like Velvia. It's okay, but not something I'll be using again. Feels a bit...er...over saturated. Silly thing to notice about Velvia, I know. But I just don't much like the feel of it. Over saturated & very cold (the examples above don't relfect this well, as all those scenes were fairly cold anyways).

Another learning experience. I'll stick to Fuji & Ilford print film in future.

2 comments:

ical said...

Wow that must be a very happy day of you. congratulation!
and lovely photos!

tobi said...

Did you use Velvia 100 or Velvia 100F? Did you also try Velvia 50 instead of Velvia 100? It is also saturated but it has nicer overall colors, especially in the yellows. Perhaps it might also makes sense to use a warming filter in front of the lens if you like warmer color even when the outside color temperature is very high (= blue). See and http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm and http://velvia-film.blogspot.com/